Crochet hair or latch hook braids are one of the oldest African hair braiding techniques. Like many other braiding hairstyles, crochet braids also require synthetic hair extensions to add volume and texture with a latch or crochet hook. Most importantly, many people consider crochet hair as a hybrid of other existing traditional braids. People used crochet hair as a preventive measure to protect their hair from any further damage and assist hair growth. A part of hair extensions is pulled through by the crochet hook to achieve the classic crochet hair. Generally, the process of installing crochet hair can easily consume up to 5-8 hours.
Love the bouncy, dense curls? But your hair does not give that curly look to your hair. The Crochet Braid is the one hairstyle that will make your hair bouncy and dense.
This Crochet hairstyle gives a thick look to the boring hair. This article is a guide for your hair transformation.
Supply you’ll need to make Crochet Braid
You will need some hair cream, hair spray, comb, Crochet needle, and synthetic curly hair.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Crochet Braid
Step 1: Detangle and Clean Your Hair
Clean your hair using your shampoo and conditioner. Then detangle the dry hair using your regular comb. Apply some hair cream for making the hair manageable. Now you can follow the steps to get your Crochet hair.
Step 2: Divide Your Hair Into Two Parts Horizontally
Now divide the hair into two parts. Divide them horizontally into lower head and front head part. Then tie the front hair and start with the lower part of the hair.
Step 3: Braid The Lower Part Into A Zig-Zag Braid
Start braiding the hair on the neck and go upwards. Form a zig-zag braid going upward. And stop braiding when you have braided all the hair.
Now braid the front part of the hair. Start the braid from the front side towards the middle. Get the hair from the side and form a braid in a zig-zag manner. Tie the ends of the braid into the lower braids and fix it.
Step 4: Crochet The Synthetic Curls Into The Braid
Now take the synthetic curls. Take a section of the curls according to your choice. Start weaving the curl into the braid.
Use the Crochet needle to weave the curl. Put the crochet needle at the end of the braid, letting the hook of the needle down. Then put the curl into the hook and pull the needle up. Put the end of the curl into the hook and weave it in the previous crochet.
Secure the crochet by fixing the two ends of the curl together. Add the curls in the same way in the braid. Repeat this for the front braids too. And you will have the bouncy curls on your head.
Step 5: Trim The Curls To Get A Proper Shape
Finish the hairstyle by trimming the curls to get them into a perfect shape.
You can add colored curls to make the hair pop up with attractive colors. You now have your Crochet braids bouncing on your head.
Maintenance Of Crochet Hair
When it comes down to taking care of crochet braids and maintaining them, it is essential never to skip it. You can use any high-quality and deeply nourishing hair oil, leave-in conditioners, and other hair products. Argan oil, coconut oil, and olive oil are considered really great options for providing the necessary treatment to your hair.
However, one of the most important things to remember is to use these products accordingly. In other words, overusing can lead to excessive product build-up on your scalp and ruin your beautiful braids. Moreover, try to limit your number of hair washes per month if you want your crochet braids to last longer.
Why Crochet Braids Are Popular?
Various factors make crochet braid hairstyles popular in today’s generations. Apart from being a protective barrier from damage and hair fall, it has other impressive features such as:
- They are extremely easy to learn, and do it yourself on your hair. If you hate other people touching your hair, then crochet braids are a great option for you. All you need to have is immense patience to sit and devote many continuous hours. Moreover, you must also know the cornrow hairstyle to ease the whole braiding process.
- Crochet braids are inexpensive as compared to some of the other braiding hairstyles. Most importantly, you can use any cheap braiding hair or synthetic hair extensions that already comes braided for saving a few additional bucks.
- This type of braiding hairstyle requires relatively less time and effort. Depending on the look people want, they can DIY it at home within 5 hours, which is a great deal in the braiding world.
- Even after using hair extensions, the intricate pattern and thousands of years old techniques make your hair look 100% natural. It prevents your hair from friction that can further lead to hair damage and breakage.
- Make sure your hair is clean and prepped before installing crochet braids.
- DO NOT ever forget moisturizing your hair a day or two before the installation process.
You can keep this hairstyle until you feel comfortable with it. It is not a proper braid but an add-on curls. So, the only problem it will face is falling synthetic curls. For long maintenance, you must fix the curls tightly.
Yes. You can wash your hair to keep them clean. But avoid massaging the scalp as that may drop off the curls. You can use shampoo for hair wash.
It may take you about 2 hours to crochet the curls. But practicing can improve speed.