The famous Marley Twist braid gets its name from the famous singer-songwriter Bob Marley who rocked the hairstyle, much like his songs. The growing trend has taken over the African-American men and women, majorly because it helps them put their usually frizzy hair in place. The braids are as the name suggests, twisty, and trendy at the same time and look great when made multiple times through the thickness of the hair, with twisty extensions when required, to make them look thicker.
Once made, they can be styled in so many different ways, and give the extra edge to your look, making the hair look bulkier and cleaner. Wear your Marley Twist braids open, or color them to a caramel, wear it in a bun or open them up after a long time to grab the perfect curls in your hair; it’s a style that is evergreen and looks great at any time. It’s advised to keep them for 8 weeks at a maximum and then open them to pamper your hair with some oiling.
Supply – Things You Need To Make A Marley Twist Braid
- Marley Braid extensions (not compulsory but helps add volume)
- A dry towel
- Hair clips
- Rat tailed comb
- Hair cream (choose a tried and trusted brand that suits your hair)
- A bowl of hot water
Steps To Make Marley Twist Braids
- Divide your hair into numerous sections using the rat-tailed comb. Clip up all but one section of hair to work on first.
- Divide this loose section into two.
- Now, apply some hair cream to the two subsections to prevent any frizz or unwanted hair peeking out of the braid.
- Take a handful of Marley extensions and fold them in the middle.
- Place the Marley extensions in the middle of the divided sections and keep merging every half of the extensions with the two divided sub-sections until it covers the roots.
- Now, twist the extensions and your natural hair together in a counter-clockwise direction, till they are merged fully.
- When you reach the end of the hair, use the scissors to chop off the extra hair strands or extensions to give a neater look.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining sections of hair that were clipped, one at a time.
- Finally, dip all the rough ends of your hair in boiling water to seal them properly and then dab the water out with a cloth. Do not touch your hair ends before they have cooled down.
You’re all done! Style your trendy Marley braids any way you like – a bun, open braids, or a ponytail, it looks good either way!
To make Marley braids after, it is important to use a good quality of hair cream and extensions. The hair cream you use must be from a tried and trusted brand and, most importantly, should be applied to every division of hair. Since Marley braids keep your hair stretched, it is important to provide the necessary moisture so that the hair does not lose its health. The material of the extensions should also be a good one, so that unnecessary hair does not come out of the braid, as that makes it look shabby.
A well-done bunch of Marley braids can last up to 8 weeks. The braids must not be kept longer than that as it can cause a loss in hair quality due to dirt and lack of oil in the hair. Some men and women have begun accessorizing their braids with clips and clutches. A well maintained Marley twist braid made with good products can last up to 8 weeks.
Maintaining Marley twists is an easy and necessary task. The better they are maintained, the longer they last. It is important to follow a night routine and tie up your braids in a silk or satin cloth before you sleep. Keep your head moist and use a conditioner, while also washing your braids periodically. Re-do the ends of the braids to keep them intact, and lastly, don’t leave them on for too long to avoid hair damage. Check out Tips To Restore Your Damaged Hair.