Are you tired of spending heaps of money on ineffective and costly hair treatments? Well, then it’s time that you switch up your hair care methods. Henna is an excellent product to add to your hair care routine.
This ancient tried and tested natural dye formulated from powdered leaves of a tropical shrub is guaranteed to restore the shine, giving you an immense volume to your hair. If your hair is starting to thin out or experiencing excessive hair loss, the henna powder is just the thing you’re looking for.
What is henna powder?
Henna powder is a plant-based hair dying agent that has been used in South Asian cultures for decades. There isn’t a hair problem that you can’t solve with the blessing of nature’s mild antidote to humanity. Though it is known for tinting your strands’ color, natural henna powder has oodles of benefits for your hair.
This organic herb is packed with moisture and nourishing vitamins, which help in replenishing your hair through deep conditioning. Furthermore, its unique chemical components provide sustenance to dry scalp and help eliminate dandruff build-up. With its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, henna also helps you combat pollution by creating a protective layer around your hair and its follicles.
How long does henna retain its color?
Natural henna powder’s strong adhesive properties make it a permanent hair dye. Once you dye your hair with it, your hair will most likely maintain the vibrancy for up to 4 to 6 weeks, after which the color will slowly start to fade away like most permanent hair dyes.
The color, however, does not completely go away in the long run. Since it is beneficial for your hair, you can use it every month to restore your stands’ glossiness and provide nourishment to your scalp.
How much natural henna powder do I need?
The amount of natural henna powder you require depends upon your hair length and volume. For shoulder-length hair, you will require approximately one 200 gram pack of henna hair dye. However, mid-back to below waist length can use up to multiple packs of henna dye.
How to mix and prepare natural henna powder?
Preparation of henna powder is much simpler than mixing your regular dyes. It doesn’t require a strenuous process of squeezing out the dye from a tube or mixing it with a developer. Not to mention it eliminates the damage caused by chemical-induced hair dyes. However, you need to mix your henna 8-10 hours in advance of the application process for the best results.
The mixing process should not take you more than 5 minutes. All you require is an empty bowl, henna powder, a cup of water, and a pair of gloves. You can also keep a hair dye application brush near you in case you need it.
To conclude how to apply henna powder dye, you need to follow the following steps:
- Cover all exposed surfaces and furniture pieces that may risk catching a strain from henna, such as carpets, rugs, wooden furniture, etc.
- Transfer your natural henna powder into a large bowl. Generally, a half-cup of henna requires one-fourth cup of water, but you can also use the measurements given at the back of your henna product packaging. You can scoop out the powder with a spoon according to how much dye you need for your hair.
- Warm-up water in a cup until it is approximately 120º F. The quantity of water should be half of the quantity of henna you are using (1:2 ratio). Gradually add the warm water to the henna powder in the bowl. Make sure to add small amounts of water, a little at a time, while mixing the paste until it forms a muddy consistency.
- Remove all lumps by thoroughly mixing everything and ensuring all the ingredients are well incorporated.
Before you start applying the henna paste to your strands, you need to ensure that your hair is freshly washed. We recommend that you wash your hair with a mild shampoo and thoroughly dry them prior to the application to remove excess build-up of oil in your roots and any toxins on the surface of your scalp. Keep in mind that a fresh scalp tends to catch the dye’s color more intensely than an oily head of hair. Do not use a conditioner on your hair during your shower, as it can prevent henna from penetrating your hair roots.
Once you have showered, dry your hair with a hair towel or allow it to air dry. Then, set the towel around your shoulders if you do not have a smock. This will prevent your clothes or your back from getting stained by henna.
As mentioned before, this process often tends to get extremely messy. Unlike regular dyes, you need to lather this mixture into your hair’s roots like a shampoo. We recommend that you being this process in an area that could be cleaned easily, such as your bathroom. Once you are all prepared, you can begin the process of application! You can remove the application as well using a sulfate-free shampoo.
How to apply black henna hair dye?
The process of application of this dye is very simple and straightforward. That said, it tends to get very messy. For this reason, it is advised that you wear gloves and a smock and apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly or coconut oil at the edges of your hairline, forehead, and neck so that those areas do not get stained.
Here is a step-by-step guide for you to correctly apply henna dye to your hair to reap most of its benefits:
- You can start applying the mixture to your towel-dried hair with the help of your hands or a hair dye brush. With the help of a wide-tooth comb, part your hair into small 2-inch segments and start coating the stands with henna from roots towards the tips. Remember that your goal is to thoroughly apply the mixture to every hair strand. The result is supposed to be messy, so don’t worry too much about sectioning and parting the hair.
- Once you have covered your hair from the scalp to the ends, you can begin massaging the dye so that your scalp effectively absorbs it.
- After this, you can simply wrap your hair loosely in a plastic shower cap. If you don’t have a shower cap, you can also use cling wrap. Keep your hair covered for at least two hours to stain your hair well.
- After two hours, you need to rinse your hair thoroughly without using shampoo or any chemicals, as it may prevent the henna from staining your hair properly. However, you can apply a conditioner once all the henna is rinsed out of your hair.
- To see immediate results, you can blow dry your hair and style it however you wish.
It is advised not to shampoo your hair for at least 24 hours after applying the henna hair dye. You should also avoid using any leave-in or oil-based conditioners for a week.
Where can I find natural henna powder for hair?
You can find this product on the shelves of your local supermarket. However, there are many brands out there that sell henna powders loaded with lots of harsh color-enhancing chemicals, and instead of revitalizing your hair, this can further damage your strands.