Dreadlocks have survived the fashion for decades. The reason is simple that this is the coolest ever hairstyle that a person can get. It was, it is, and it will keep trending for the next thousand years to come. But what are dreadlocks, you ask? Well, dreadlocks square measure rope-like clumps of hair shaped by your hair obtaining matted along. Dreadlocks have traditionally been found to be related to Aztec, Buddhist, Senegalese and youth subculture cultures. Though they are now mainly linked to African culture and identity, people from all races do sport their hair in dreadlocks.
While the foremost natural thanks to moving dread locking your hair are totally neglecting it by renunciation hairdressing, brushing, and cutting your hair altogether (known because the ‘neglect method’), it takes years for these dreads to mature. However, there are many variations in dreadlocks where you can form ringlets. This is an easy method rather than keeping your hair unkempt for years and creating a natural dreadlock. This one takes lesser time too. While backcombing is that the preferred of those ways, twisting and dread gold braid also is some procedures that you just will get in for.
So, are you ready to make all your dreadlock dreams come true? Until your dreadlocks mature, till then keep reading…
How to grow dreadlocks?
Dreadlocks are knotted hairstyle with a fashionable cultural heritage, normally associated with African culture. If you wish to begin your own dreadlocks, you’ll be needing the majority of your free time and of course some free time from your hectic work schedule too. Creating natural dreads can be time-consuming and takes years to mature. As long as you frequently wash and maintain your dreadlocks, you can easily keep them healthy. It is a low-maintenance way to keep your hair healthy and flaunt it. All you need is proper hair care routine and supplies which can result in tight and healthy dreads.
What you require?
- Residue-free shampoo
- Sectioning clips
- Rubber bands
- Fine-toothed comb
- Blow-dryer and
- Dread Wax
Here are the few things you need to do:
- Wash your hair: I cannot stress enough; however necessary it’s for you to scrub your hair with a decent residue free shampoo before you ringlet your hair. This shampoo removes all the grease and dirt deposits from your hair and makes sure that it doesn’t leave any residue of its own (the way a normal shampoo would). In other words, you need to wash off all the dirt and oiliness from your hair prior you begin.
- Blow-dry Your Hair: Up, down, side to side, keep blow drying your hair from every direction possible. The key is to induce the maximum amount volume as you probably will into your hair. Also, you wish to form positive there’s not one strand of wet hair before you begin deadlocking.
- Start sectioning: Create a center parting. Now here lies the trick. This parting will be done horizontally, unlike the usual vertical center parting. You can use sectioning clips to carry up the remainder of your hair. Now, from one corner of this divided off hair, devour concerning in wide section of hair.
- Backcomb: Lower head and begin backcombing this section towards your scalp. This will produce a haul that may be the muse for your whorl. Continue backcombing this fashion whereas you progress down the length of your hair till you reach the terribly ends.
- Start Twisting: Now twist the backcombed portions of hair until you can form a tight elongated shape.
- Use Dread Wax: Take out a small amount of the wax on your hand, rub it between your fingers and then simply rub your fingers through the length or your dreads. The aim is to smoothen down and bind along all the loose strands of hair.
- Roll your dreadlock: Ranging from your root, roll this waxed up whorl between the palms of your hands until the terribly ends till it’s nice and taut. Palm rolling is essential in all manners to forming your dreadlocks and also to maintain them.
- Weave your dreadlocks: Don’t attempt to follow a fair and set pattern once creating your dreadlocks. It will keep your scalp exposed, to hide it you can stagger the locks and give it a fuller look.
- Follow this procedure until you have got desired dreadlocked for your entire hair.
How to maintain dreadlocks?
Let me begin by resolving your query that is most likely to whirlwind your brain at the moment. The question starts with an affirmative word “how.” The next question is how to maintain your dreadlocks? Now, this is supposedly a tough real-time task as it was to create dreadlocks. You can’t simply go away by washing your dreads only. There is some stuff that you need to buy to take care of your dreadlocks.
- Leave them unwashed the primary week: Your dreadlocks are super delicate the primary week when they need to be created. Washing them at now might loosen and unravel them. So, get yourself a giant cap and stick your dreads in it once you take a shower throughout that initial week.
- Always use residue free shampoo for your dreadlocks: you’ll be able to wash your hair between one to a few times every week when the primary week of effort it unwashed. It’s imperative that you just use residue-free shampoo for obvious reasons. Firstly, few shampoos can leave a residue behind which keeps your hair lubricated and result in loosening the dreadlocks. Secondly, this residue will extremely build up in your hair and kind mold in your dreadlocks.
- Dry you dreadlocks completely: Use natural drying technique or a blow-dry to completely dry your dreadlocks till the roots before you rewash them. Leaving them wet will extremely cause them to stink.
- Regular waxing and rolling: Whenever you notice and feel that your dreadlocks are loosening, apply some wax and begin the procedure of palm rolling as explained earlier. This will fix your dreads and will tighten them up. You need to follow this step just once in six months and only when your dreads are in their early stages.
- Now that you’re aware of the regular maintenance of your dreadlocks, here are some of the tips that you will follow to present them the tender-some care they need.
How to clean your dreads?
Maintaining and cleaning, both are different tasks as in case of your dreads. If this is your first time making your dreadlocks, you might feel a little cumbersome task to clean and wash your dreads. You might think that if you are maintaining it appropriately then what the use of washing it? But it is necessary to wash and clean your dreads regularly.
The reasons are obvious and simple.
Need to clean your dreads so that no dust or dirt deposits on your locks. If it happens at all, you will end making a messy and an untidy dreadlock.
Secondly, regular cleaning is important cause it will leave your hair/dreadlocks healthy with maximum life.
Also, there is no surprise to the fact that clean dreads always look great and healthy.
Here are some tricks to clean your locks without much effort.
- Shampoo your dreadlocks – Begin by wetting your hair with water first. Apply any sulfate free shampoo. Avoid using other harsh chemicals based shampoos as they will not nourish your thick strands. Sulfate-Free shampoo is anytime good for thickly stranded hair. Wash off the shampoo properly to avoid stickiness.
- Use a mild conditioner– Your dreads can be cleaned easily by keeping them moisturized (applying a mild and a gentle conditioner) on your dreads at least once a week. The conditioner will help retain back the moisture of your unkempt, rope-like hair strands. Use products that are mild and are formulated especially for your dreads. Homemade conditioners are the best for use. Always remember that hair gels shouldn’t maintain your dreads. It will spoil your hair.
- Rinse excess shampoo and conditioner – Make sure that you use enough water to rinse off excess shampoo and conditioner from your dreads. No residue should be left in your scalp or your hair strands. Just make sure that there is no residue of either the shampoo or conditioner is left. Rinse it thoroughly.
- Dry thoroughly – After all these steps, make sure that you dry your locks properly. If you leave them without drying properly, they might loosen up. Use a hair dryer to remove access moisture/wetness from your dreads. Even if your dreads are moist or damp, it might cause the smell to remain in your hair. Leaving your hair damp for a long time might cause mildew or any other infection.
Besides these, there are many other steps that you can follow to keep your dreads in the right position.
- Always use mild and home-made products for better care. Sulfate free shampoos and conditioner are anytime the best products. Your products should be free of chemicals.
- Always dry your dreads. Non-drying may cause infection and mildew growth within your scalp and dreads. Never leave them damp for long.
- If you feel that your head or your scalp is getting too itchy, use any cold presses or carrier oil for oiling. Too much of oiling should be avoided. Just apply oil (mineral free) on to your scalp or portion where it is getting itchy. Investing in a good dread hair spray conditioner is also the best option. Dread’s conditioner is also meant to retain moisture in your locks.
- If you find any loose ends or split ends coming out, use dread wax and begin palm rolling it. It will get back into shape.
- Avoid sleeping on your pillow directly. So that your dreads don’t pick up any pollen or lint from the pillow fabric. For this, the best option is to cover your hair with a scarf. This will avoid any kind of dust or lint by sticking on to your locks.
- Use natural and chemical free hair products. By using such products, your dreads will remain healthy.
- You can experience some irritation or discomfort during the initial days of creating your dreads. Head massages are the best option. They are your best friends in fact. This happens because the length weighs down your locks. Keep giving yourself a good head massage with any mineral free oil. That’s the best and will combat any sort of dryness.
Now that you have everything thoroughly learned, you might as well take a chance in creating your own dread locks. You must have thought that these African famous dreads are tough to obtain and maintain – they are a bit but not much. And with these simple guidelines, you can surely try if you want to experiment with your hair.