In today’s time and aging, wigs are no longer merely a hot gossip. Women, including all the celebs, wear them proudly. And now they are considered as trends by the experts. The fact is that men are much more open to this new trend. Buying a wig and living a life with it has become very easy but do we know anything about how to take care of them?
We all know how precious your wigs could get for you. And sometimes, they become an integral part of your look and life. So You have to take care of your wigs so that they last longer and always look gorgeous. Keep in mind that wigs are very different from your natural hair and therefore, they always needed to be treated in a completely different manner.
Learn to Buy Quality Wigs
- First things first, learn to buy good quality wigs. Also, look out for the material the wigs are made for and always read the instructions. Learn the difference between synthetic wigs and human hair wigs.
- Human hair wigs are much stronger than synthetic wigs.
- Human hair wigs have a higher resistance to heat than synthetic wigs. Therefore, they hardly melt.
How to take care of your wig depends completely on what it is made of. In the case of human hair wigs, they can be washed with regular shampoos and conditioners, and in general, they are treated like your bio hair. It is essential to be extremely gentle because the hair is no longer receiving nutrients from the scalp and also avoid over-combing. When it is wet, don’t comb hair at all. Comb the wig gently only when it gets dry. We recommend Never to use synthetic wig cleaner on a human hair wig!!
Now, in the case of a synthetic wig, always use synthetic wig cleaners. You can also use fabric softeners, or even prefer to use human hair conditioners. Regardless of the product you choose, always wash gently. Always comb the wig Gently after every use to prevent matting and other damages.
1. The Difference Between Regular Wigs And Lace Wigs
If you are unknown to the fact that what is a “regular wig” is actually weft hair extensions which are glued or sewn on to a regular wig cap. Wafted hair is the process of hair strands scooped together as well as fed through a triple-head sewing machine. The hair strands are stitched together from the very ends or can say roots. The hair strands are then folded over and reinforced. Lace fabric can be sewn inside of this type of wigs as these wigs are one of the best fabrics to stitch on. However, wigs made out of wefts don’t have exact same features that resemble a natural scalp as opposed to a full lace wig. The term “full lace wig”, is a unit with no cap, and the base in of these wigs entirely made up of lace fabric. The use of lace is customarily for skin completed. Hair Strands are weaved through the lace fabric and knotted so it can appear like a natural texture of the scalp.
Lace wigs are the ones that are glued down to the front of the hairline using an adhesive so that it gives a “melted into the flesh” look. The lace wigs can further be worn without glue, that is by utilizing an elastic band sewn inside the back of the lace cap which will comfortably pull the unit close to your skin granting a reasonable appearance. A frontal unit is a wig that has wefts in the back, but the front is made up of a 13 x 6 lace base. This way, the front of your hair can still guarantee a native flesh form, while the middle-to-the-back of the wig is really weft. All weft, full lace, and frontal units can be made of human hair or synthetic hair.
The second step towards taking care of your wigs is by keeping them clean.
2. Washing Your Wig
You don’t need to wash your hair very often, but whenever you do, you gotta do it right. Few things you should keep in mind while washing your wigs are as follows:
- Special shampoo– There are special products for cleaning your wigs. Always prefer using them. This is also important because the regular shampoo and conditioners have a lot of chemicals that can destroy the hair and even damage the texture of wig hairs. Synthetic hair wigs are more prone to getting damaged by all these chemicals.
- The method– The method for Washing wigs is very specific and different from washing your own hair. Follow the steps to wash them properly- soak the wig in water with shampoo. Hold the hair in running water and rinse the wig until the product is all out. Gently stroke wig in a downward motion. Squeeze gently to press out excess water. Avoid twisting or wringing. All you need is to comb the wig just to make it untangled gently. Let it dry naturally. Avoid rubbing or massaging the wig.
- Conditioner– Always make sure to condition the wig to nourish and hydrate them. This will help them keep free of any dryness and frizz as the wig doesn’t have any natural source to get nourishment. Use the special conditioners for the wigs. Wash the hair as you did earlier.
3. Combing Your Wig
The necessary tools you use to manage your wigs are beyond significant. Contrary to what many uses, one thing is certain that is to use a detangling brush, or a specific wig brush when dealing with it. The comb bristles on the detangling brush aren’t as long or very strong as they are on a paddle brush or a wig brush. Since the regular bristles aren’t as long or a very strong option, it doesn’t fight the wig hair. It’s a lot gentler and it gets through the hair better. You don’t have to put a lot of pressure on the wig while brushing or detangling process. Detangling Brush and Tangle Teezer amazing tools for wigs care.
On synthetic hair wigs, the rake features of a detangling brush process work wonder on the fibers because the synthetic hair on the wig is similar to Velcro. It tends to stick together. So if you have a basic tool that can rake through these synthetic wig hairs and it does not pick up or drag, then it’s the foremost option.
4. Heat or No Heat
Most of the time we need heat to style our wigs therefore, Heat friendly and heat defiant wigs are becoming increasingly more common. But even with these wigs, frequent styling with heat will always cause some damage to your wig, in the same way, it damages your natural hair. Use heat only occasionally and on a low setting. Always consider the pre-styled wigs for better ease, they retain their design even wash after wash.
Choosing Products for wig care is the same for your original hair care. Consideration for wig care products is just as critical and difficult as it is for your natural hair. A woman with naturally heavy wavy or curly hair does not use the same products as someone with silky straight hair. Similarly, For curly hair wigs, you definitely have to use silicone-free based products. Through the search one thing, we will make it clear that you should – Avoid protein base products unless your stylist recommends for your hair needs. A lot of times people will use protein-based shampoos and conditioners for their hair and it has already been protein treated after the company.
6. Steps To Dye Wigs
Most of the time, women have a misconception that the dyes used to dye the wig hair is similar to the dyes you used for are natural hair. There are tried and tested results about this conception and the bottom line is they don’t really work similarly. Besides everyday advancement, the end result is you can actually dye your synthetic hair wigs but not with the dyes available for your natural hair. The reasons for this are very simple the most of the hair dyes used for are natural hair contains ammonia or bleach which are not a perfect fit for synthetic fabric. These chemicals simply destroy the synthetic hairs. For bringing a change in syntactic hair wig, there are options from which you can choose. The wigs can be dyed with
- The Acrylic link method
- Watercolor hair i.e. by using a hairdryer to create highlights
- Alcohol bath synthetic hair dying.
Coloring and dying your synthetic wigs is an optional choice; they are not much recommended the synthetic hairs are not designed for dying and coloring. Theses thing will only shorten the wigs life and also effect there usability. We recommend you to start with wigs or extension which you are not attached much in the case of experiments. follow the steps to dye your wig:
- Start by Mixing the dye and the developer in a plastic bowl. I always read the instructions on your dye to see how much dye you should combine with the developer and mix accordingly.use a plastic spoon for the mixing. Never use a metal bowl or spoon to mix your dye because The metal oxidizes the dye, causing it to change colors. Don’t worry, If the dye looks a little light. It gets darken over time.use two boxes of hair dye, If your wig goes down below your shoulders
- First, Test the dye on a few strands of hair. You can do this With your fingers or a small paintbrush. Wait for at least thirty or forty minutes. Only If you like the color, apply it to the rest of the wig. If you don’t like the color, wait and try a different shade of hair dye.
- Now Soak the entire wig in the dye. You can do this by Placing the wig in the bowl with the dye. Spread the dye through the layers of the wig, With your hands and gently scoop it over the wig and. Be gentle. Don’t roughly rub the dye into the wig.
- Now Brush through the hair. Always use a comb or a wig brush to do this. This helps in distributing the dye throughout the wig. Combing also helps to make sure that the dye is evenly applied to the entire wig. This also makes sure that the dyed hair looks more natural.
- Let the color set. Read the instructions given on the package to see how much time it will take to set the color and leave the wig for that long. In most cases, this is thirty or forty minutes. Try to check the wig every ten minutes. When you feel that it has reached the right color, you can wash it. Use wig stands or leaves the wig in the bowl to set. Use a plastic wrap to cover it.
- Wash the wig with the method already explained.
7. Storing Your Wigs
You should not sleep in your wig, but at the same time, many people do that, also because they have a large collection of wigs. But in both cases, proper storage techniques are essential for proper wig care. There are many different ways you can store your wigs. Things you should remember, When storing your wigs for long periods, are that keep them away from direct sunlight, dust, and heat. Thus, it’s suggested to store wigs safely in a closet. This keeps them out of any harm. You can also choose to store synthetic wigs in their original boxes since synthetics can hold their style. You can also use wig stand or mannequin to store wigs if you want to keep styled while stored. Storing your wig for a long period without washing away any styling products and brushing out any tangles or knots can obliterate your wig. Always avoid that.
The Do’s And Don’ts While Using Wigs:
- Avoid using very hot water to wash your is as it can damage the cap and the hair.
- It is better to Style your wig before wearing it.
- While drying your wig, don’t put it on the mannequin head as it can stretch the cap and loosen it.
- Always avoid sleeping, showering, or swimming while wearing the wig.
- Store the wig properly after using it. The best method is to put the wig on a wig stand to avoid unwanted kinks or crimps.
- Always store the wig in an upright position to avoid any tangles.
- Lace of the wig is delicate and should not be tugged or pulled.
- Avoid brushing the hair harshly, especially when they are wet to prevent damage.
- Heat could damage the wig very fastly. While using any heat always use heat protectors.
- Always keep the major work with the professionals because they do it better, and there are fewer chances of any risks. This involves cutting or chemical processes, such as perming or coloring. Avoid lifting or bleaching human hair; instead, go for hair coloring. You can get the best results with depositing color.