Do you think your hair has become stiff, brittle and dry? There are a lot of things you do to your hair that damage over time. Straightening, bleaching, dyeing, or blowing make your hair dry and result in breakage and split ends. The damage once done can be made and restored by giving the hair time to grow back healthy and strong. Deep conditioning treatments help to retain luster and bring back the healthy hair from the inside. These 3 best tips to restore your damaged hair will definitely help you.
Best Tips To Restore Your Damaged Hair
A few tips you need to know to restore your hair naturally and have beautiful tresses are as follows:
#1 Help Your Hair To Recover
Avoid harsh treatments on your hair
Many popular hair treatments take away the natural oils from the hair and damage the hair shaft. If you want to restore your hair health, you will need to stop all the treatments and let your hair stay natural. Choose the essential procedures you require for your hair and let go of the rest. Try going the natural way. Here are things you need to avoid:
- Avoid chemical hair dyes be it professional or from the box. If you really need to dye your hair try doing it the natural way. Use Heena or tea to dye your hair and give it a natural color which also will help to restore your hair and give it a natural color.
- Avoid bleaching your hair. It strips the color out of your hair and does a lot of damage to the hair shaft. It also causes your hair to be brittle and causes breakage.
- The chemical used for processes like chemical straightening and curling like Brazilian blowout, relaxers or a permanent, may damage your hair. The chemicals which help to straighten or curl your hair damage your hair extensively. Avoid them.
Hair should be washed and dried very gently
Hair is the most fragile part of the body. It needs to be handled with care. Damp hair breaks easily, since they are more fragile. When you are washing or drying your hair, do it very gently. Treat them as you would hold a Silk dress or a fine wool sweater. Don’t scrub, wring or rub your hair with a towel while drying it. Take care of it as you would handle your best glass crockery, with utmost care.
- While you shampoo massage the shampoo gently with your fingertips on the scalp and slow down your hair. Avoid rubbing it forcefully. The conditioner should be used in the same way.
- Squeeze your hair and let your hair drip dry for some time to do away with the excess water in the hair. Then pat a towel gently to dry tour hair.
Do not shampoo more than once or twice a week
Sebum is a natural oil produced by the scalp which protects the hair from getting dry. Repeated and excess shampoo would wash away this oil and decrease the chances of it to travel down to the tips of your hair. Lack of this natural oil would damage the tips of the hair greatly.
- There will be an overproduction of sebum in your scalp once you stop washing your hair every day. It will take a week to balance the production of sebum, and your hair will not be left oily or greasy instantly. If your hair or skin is oily, the process of restoring the sebum with your hair will take a time of around 3 to 4 months.
- Use a dry shampoo if you are concerned about your hair looking oily on the days you choose not to wash them. You can buy a dry shampoo or go the natural way. Sprinkle a mixture of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and half tablespoon of baking soda in the oily areas. Keep it for 5 minutes and comb your hair. Dust it off and comb your hair. This reduces the greasiness from your hair in just 5 minutes.
Let your hair dry naturally instead of using a dryer
People who have less time and need to rush to work or office in the morning need to dry their hair using hair dryers. There are other heat styling tools people use to give their hair a perfect look.
When you need to restore your hair to good health you need to cut down on the heat you use on your hair. Stop using a hair dryer, curlers or straightening machines. Let the hair air dry and try to keep your hair as natural as possible. This would give the hair an opportunity to get better.
- If you use any styling products use it before your head lice naturally you can style your hair in any shape you desire before it dries.
- Any styling tools which pass on heat to your hair should be used on low settings and be done for extraordinary occasions get a thermal protector which comes in the form of a cream or spray applied on your hair before you use any heating machines on the hair.
- The hair needs some quality time to get restored entirely and look as beautiful as before. You are used to using irons to get a straight hair look for your frizzy curls as it brings some life to dry limp locks. Hold onto using it until your hair becomes healthy. Slowly you would see a change in the texture of your hair improving. Patience is all that is required.
Don’t brush your hair
A plastic bristle brush damages your hair very much. Avoid brushing which such a brush especially with tangles. You tend to pull out hair while brushing resulting in hair breakage.
The best way to detangle your hair is to use a wide-toothed comb and avoid a brush. The wide tooth comb should be put gently on work through your hair starting from the tips and gradually come to the roots until the comb smoothly runs throughout your hair without getting stuck up in a tangle.
Never brush your hair when it is wet as the hair is most fragile when wet than it is dry. Using a brush on wet hair would result in breakage and frayed ends.
Avoid restrictive hairstyles
Some hairstyles may cause your hair to fray and break. Hair extension and weaves should be particularly avoided as they are glued onto your hair and once taken out result in inevitable damage to your natural hair. Avoid hairstyles that can be hard on your hair when you are working to restore your hair to health.
#2 Do Proper Conditioning Of Your Hair
Apply Conditioner Each Time You Shampoo
Conditioners are used to keep your hair hydrated. Take out a small amount of conditioner on your fingertips, apply it on the tips and go upwards towards the roots. Focus on treating the tips well, since they get dry out quickly as compared to the roots. Rinse thoroughly.
Use only that much conditioner which is required to coat your hair lightly, rinse with cold water. It will give your hair shinier and smoother look.
Apart from regular conditioning, you need to do deep conditioning every once a week. You can buy the product from the market or can use coconut oil or olive oil or almond oil for the same.
When your hair looks dull or frizzy, you can restore your hair texture with the help of a mask. Apply the mask after you wet your hair and then use the shampoo to rinse it off. Here are few homemade masks you can easily use.
- One tablespoon of honey along with one egg white for dull hair.
- Use one blended avocado or banana for frizzy hair.
- One tablespoon of yogurt or milk for dry hair.
- Use any of the mix of above for combination hair.
Apply Serum or Finishing Oil
Once your hair is dry, you can apply serum or hair oil to get rid of the frizziness. You can buy combination hair oil or an anti-frizz serum. Take a few drops, use your fingers to apply it on your hair.
Use a wide-toothed brush to comb your hair.
#3 Grow Healthy Hair
Massage your hair for better circulation which will help your hair grow strong and healthy. You can also use oil for massage, and wash it with shampoo. You can try essential oil like lavender, tea tree oil, cedar wood oil, egg oil, etc.
Buy Natural Hair Products
Buy hair products which are made up of natural ingredients, while buying shampoos make sure it’s sulfate-free and look for the conditioners which don’t have silicone in it.
Eat protein rich food, along with other nutritional food. Stay hydrated and avoid smoking. A healthy body will help with healthy hair growth.
Protect Your Hair From Outer Elements
Protect your hair from sun, excess cold, etc. Just like you protect your skin. Protect your hair from harmful pool chemicals, air pollution, etc.
Make such styles which can keep your hair tangle free like braids, rolls, etc.
Get trimming at regular intervals, since new and healthy hair will grow; you will need to cut the old damaged hair. It will also prevent split ends and will give you a fresh look.
Following these 3 Tips To Restore Your Damaged Hair mentioned above will help you in restoring your hair health.