Formal occasions are literally unavoidable. There are specific hairstyles specifically designed for formal occasions that pop your way. Formal occasion hairstyles are purposely designed for different events. This saves you from the hustle of attaining one hairstyle after the other. All hairstyles on this list require people to at least medium length hair. There are different types of formal occasion hairstyles. They range from chignon bun, hair roll, French twist hair, chignon hairstyle, knotted ponytail and basic hair bow, among others. These hairstyles have different requirements. Check out the requirements before trying any hairstyle.
Some formal occasion hairstyles can be attained from the comfort of your house. Below are a couple of things worth considering before making any decision on the hairstyle to choose:
- Hairstyle and attire. Formal events require different attire. The attire you choose determines the kind of hairstyle to choose. Choose a hairstyle that complements the formal event you are attending.
- Facial look- Facial looks require different hairstyles. Choose a formal hairstyle for occasion that blends with your event.
Below are some hairstyles and how to attain them. Check them out:
1. French Twist Hairstyle
French twist hairstyle looks good on wedding and prom events. It can also be customized for various formal functions. There are two main ways French twist hair can be attained. French twist hair can be attained through your natural hair or weave. Let us go through the three ways French twist hair can be attained:
- Start off by directing all your hair on one side of the head. It can be either on the right or left side of the head.
- Use pins or grips to hold your hair intact on the selected direction. Pins are recommended for ladies with long, heavy and thick hair.
- Apply hairspray throughout the head. This improves the general look of this hairstyle.
- Take a brush and gently comb your hair. Your hand should be beneath your hair so that you can comfortably brush your hair.
- Take your hair and twist it towards the opposite direction you sleeked it.
- Tuck the ends of your hair into a twist.
- Use pins to hold your French twist hair intact.
- Comb all your hair straight towards the back of the head.
- Take a fine toothed comb and separate a section of your fringe hair. Separate this hair section from the remaining hair.
- Form three sections with your separated hair. One section should be around your mid head, other in front and the last one on the crown of your head.
- Backcomb the three hair sections before twisting them.
- Forma small knot using your hair tips.
- Front hair section should be used to form twist.
- Pin down any loose hair piece on the head.
2. Chignon Hairstyle
Chignon is gaining popularity among celebrities and those who are obsessed with fashion. This hairstyle can be customized for any formal event that comes your way. There are a couple of methods chignon hairstyle can be attained. Here are some of these methods:
- Use the right brush to comb your hair. Comb it straight downwards so that it gets rid of tangle. Combing your hair gives it a soft texture. Soft texture is recommended when designing chignon. You can hold your hair intact with a hair band.
- Form two ponytails at the back of the head. The two ponytails should be equal in terms of size.
- Hold each ponytail with one hand. Tie the two ponytails together at the back of the head and form a loose knot.
- Ensure there are no ruffles on your hair before tucking your hair end on the knot. Use hair pin to hold your hair intact. Feel free to use hair spray to enhance the looks of this hairstyle.
- The second method kicks off by combing your hair towards the back. This is the simplest way of removing tangles that might form on the head. Use the right comb to avoid damaging it.
- Hold your hair intact together and form a ponytail. Split your ponytail into two so that small ponytails are formed.
- Wrap the small ponytails on the big ponytail. They should keep this hairstyle intact in place. You can also use hair pins to hold this hairstyle intact.
3. Hair Roll
Hair roll is a formal hairstyle that suits any occasion that comes your way. Additionally, there are numerous styles you can attain through hair rolls. There are a couple of ways you can do hair roll styles. Below are some steps you can use to form hair roll.
- Apply any styling gel on your hair. This makes it easy to style your hair to any style you deem fit. Styling gel is recommended or you will have difficult time styling your hair.
- Form two sections by parting hair on the middle. The two hair sections should be used for face framing. Another section should be formed using hair on the back. Hair on the back should be used to either form a ponytail or bun.
- Proceed and take hair on the right side and comb it straight. This helps get rid of tangles on hair.
- Start rolling one side. Your rolls should be placed in an inward direction. Use bobby pins to hold your rolls intact. Form rolls on both sides of the head.
- Remove the hair roll without damaging the style.
- The second method aims at presenting bottom roll style. Apply some styling gel on the head so that your rolls stay intact in place.
- Part your hair so that you have two sections in front and one at the back of the head.
- Start twisting and coiling one section of your hair. The same procedure should be repeated with the remaining two sections. Start off by curling then coiling.
- You can enhance the looks of this look through hair spray.
4. Professional Ponytail
Professional ponytail suits any event that comes your way. This statement applies to both formal and casual occasions. Just like the name, professional ponytail brings out a glamorous look. Here is a step by step procedure on how to attain professional ponytail.
- It all begins by dampening your hair. This step entails slightly wetting your hair. This makes it simple and easy to attain your desired style. Avoid forming professional ponytail immediately after shower. During this time, your hair is prone to breakage.
- Proceed and use hair serum throughout the head. Hair serum smoothens your hair. It also gives it a shiny look. Massage the hair serum throughout the head so that it spreads.
- Use a brush or comb to straighten your hair. Use the right comb so that you don’t damage it while getting rid of tangles. Remove tangles throughout the head.
- Separate your crown hair from rest of hair. Use a hair clip to keep your hair intact.
- There are instances where your hair will be left hanging. Brush any hanging hair towards the back of the head.
- Go on and form a ponytail. Your ponytail should be neat to bring out a professional look. Use a brush to give it your ponytail a smooth look.
- Professional ponytail gives you the freedom of choosing the size of ponytail to adopt on the head.
5. Grecian Hairstyles
There are numerous Grecian hairstyles to choose from. We are going to focus our attention on Grecian braids. Grecian braids suit a large fraction of formal occasions. Before are a couple of ways you can attain this Grecian hairstyle:
- Use the right brush to comb your hair. Don’t comb your hair immediately after washing it. Wet hair is prone to breakage. Brushing your hair helps get rid of tangles.
- Divide your entire hair into two sections. One section should be directed towards the right and the other one towards the left. Use hair clips to hold each section intact.
- Focus on one side at a time. It can be either the right or left section. Take hair on each section and further divide it into three strands. Use these strands to form a braid.
- Repeat the same for the opposite hair section. Your braids should extend up to hair edges.
- Start off by combing your hair until it gets smooth and doesn’t have any tangles. Avoid combing your hair immediately after bath. It is prone to breakage.
- Divide your hair into two equal sections. One section should extend towards the right and the other one towards the left.
- Carry on and plait your hair to your desired size. This should be attained on both sections.
- You can use bobby pins to hold your hair edges intact.
6. Chignon with a Modern Twist
Chignon with modern twist is one of the simplest and easy to attain formal hairstyle for occasions. It is pocket-friendly and doesn’t need a lot of heat. Above all; it is easy to adopt. Here is a step by step procedure on how to design this hairstyle:
- Wash your hair a few hours or a few days before adopting this hairstyle. You can also use a hair drier.
- You can form wave, curl or straighten your hair. It depends on the look you want to attain when you adopt chignon with a modern twist.
- Your sideways hair should be combed towards their respective direction. Choose the direction to sleek your fringe hair. A section of it should rest on your forehead.
- Form a small braid on the left side of the head.
- The remaining hair should be combed towards the back of the head. Use hair band to hold your hair intact. Your braid and a section of your sideways hair should be directed straight.
- Conjoin your braid and hair on the back to form a bun. Chignon with a modern twist hairstyle gives you the freedom of choosing the bun size to form on the head.
- Feel free to use an accessory on the head.
7. Chic Braid Updo
- Start off by washing and conditioning your hair. Afterward, comb it using the right comb to remove any tangles. Don’t brush your hair immediately after washing and conditioning it. Such hair is prone to breakage.
- Your hair should be slightly backcombed. Your bangs should be pulled vertically from your roots. You can use hair spray to spritz it so that your hair doesn’t fall down.
- Direct your hair on both sides of the head, depending on its position. Use an elastic band to hold your hair intact on the guided direction.
- Start plaiting your hair from mid way going down.
- No loose hair should be left hanging. Use bobby pins in case there are a couple of them.
8. Knotted Ponytail
Knotted ponytail is one of the most comfortable formal hairstyles for occasion worth trying it. It can also be attained within a short period. There are a couple of ways knotted ponytail can be attained. Here are the steps you can use for knotted ponytail:
- Don’t wash your hair and immediately adopt this hairstyle. Give yourself a few days after washing your hair.
- Use the right brush to comb your hair into a ponytail style. It’s up to you to choose the point you want to form your ponytail. It can be either a side ponytail, low ponytail or high ponytail.
- Use a hair strand to hold your ponytail intact in position. Wrap a section of your hair around the strand.
- Use bobby pins to hold this hairstyle intact.
- Take two hair strands on both sides of the head. They should be equal in terms of length.
- Use the two hair strands to form a knot. The knot should be on the back of the head.
- Commence and add more hair strands into the knot.
- Conjoin your hair together and form another knot. Add any hanging hair inside the strand.
- Carry on and form one last knot to make your knotted ponytail complete.
- Take two hair strands on both the right and left side of the head. You can use a comb to properly divide your hair strands.
- Form a knot with the two hair strands. Proceed and add two more hair strands on your knot.
- Swiftly add more hair strands until a knot cannot be added anymore.
9. Woven Ponytail
Consider woven ponytail if you want to give your hair a little flair. Furthermore, this formal hairstyle for occasions suits any event that comes your way. Here are a couple of step by step procedures you can use for woven ponytail:
- Wash your hair a few days before adopting the woven ponytail. Wet hair doesn’t properly hold the woven ponytail.
- Afterwards, part your hair into almost two equal halves using your fingers.
- Take a section of your hair and form a ponytail with it. Use elastic band to hold the ponytail intact on its position.
- Use your finger to poke a section of hair forming ponytail. Consider the right side.
- Take a section of loose hair on the left side and pass it through the hole.
- Poke a hole on the left side of the head and repeat the same procedure.
- Consider bobby pins to hold your woven ponytail style intact.
- This alternative method of attaining woven ponytail commences by dividing your hair into three sections. Try your best and make these three sections even.
- Hair on the mid section should be use to form a ponytail.
- Proceed and twist a section of your loose sideway hair on your ponytail.
- Repeat the same procedure with hair on the opposite direction.
- Use elastic band to hold your hairstyle before finally tying up your full ponytail.
- Start off by dividing your hair into two sections.
- Secure side at a time when styling your hair.
Carry on and divide one section into three sections.
- Take these hair sections and form a braid with it.
- Tuck the remaining hair on your section beneath the braid.
- Repeat the same procedure with the adjacent hair. The braid you form on the head should be equal on both sides of the head.
- Conjoin all your braids and form a ponytail with it.
10. Crisscross Ponytail
Crisscross ponytail aims at showcasing that ponytail hairstyles can be used for formal occasion. There are a couple of designing options you can consider for your crisscross ponytail hairstyle. Here are the step by step guidelines on how to attain crisscross ponytail hairstyles:
- You should wash your hair a few days before adopting this hairstyle. Alternatively, you can use a drier. Wet hair makes it quite challenging to adopt crisscross ponytail look.
- Use the right brush to direct all your hair towards the back of the head. Carry on and form a low ponytail with your hair. It’s up to you to choose the point you want to form your low ponytail.
- Feel free to enhance the looks of your loose hair sections through hairspray.
- Carry on and conjoin the two loose hair sections together.
- Afterwards, wrap the loose hair behind your ponytail.
- You can use bobby pins to hold the loose hair intact.
- Start off by forming a low ponytail at the back of the head. You should also leave two loose sections after forming the low ponytail.
- Take a section of hair on the left side and set it above the ponytail.
- Take a section of hair on the right side and pin it on the right side towards the ponytail.
- Commence and pin the remaining loose hair on your ponytail. Your loose hair should be pinned on its adjacent side.
- Carry on and hold your crisscross ponytail intact.
- Take your hair above your forehead towards the back of the head. You can use a comb to efficiently direct your hair. Use bobby pins to hold your hair intact.
- Crisscross a section of hair on both the right and left side of the head. It should pass over your bobby pins.
- Repeat this process for roughly two to three times.
- Afterwards, conjoin your hair and form high ponytail. You can enhance the looks and texture of this hairstyle through hair spray.
11. Chignon Bun
Chignon bun focuses its attention around the nape of your neck. This hairstyle can be customized for any formal event that comes your way. Chignon bun hairstyle is one of the simplest and easy to attain hairstyles. Here is a step by step guideline on how to attain this glamorous hairstyle:
- Part your hair into two sections. These two sections should be even in terms of length.
- Use a section of your hair to form a ponytail. Consider bobby pins to hold your ponytail intact.
- Use the right comb to perfectly hold your ponytail intact. You can enhance the looks and texture of your ponytail through hair spray.
- Take loose hair on both sides of the head and tie it around your ponytail.
- Use the unattended front hair and conjoin it on your ponytail. This is the point you wrap your hair to form a bun on the back of the head.
- There is no limit in terms of bun to form on the head. It all depends on what you intend on attaining in the long run.
12. Basic Hair Bow
Basic hair bow is simple when compared to formal occasion hairstyles. This hairstyle can be customized for any event that comes your way. Here is a step by step guideline on how to attain basic hair bow:
- The entire process starts off by straightening your hair. Straight hair is recommended for basic hair bow style.
- You should also smooth your hair so that you get rid of knots and tangles. You can also use hair spray to enhance the looks of this hairstyle.
- Carry on and direct all your hair towards the back of the head. Commence and form a ponytail. Stop halfway and form roughly four loops.
- Use these loops to come up with a bow shape.
- Form a center strand before adjusting the bow.
13. Laced Ponytail
There are numerous ways laced ponytail hairstyle can be attained. Go through the steps and choose the most ideal way of adopting laced ponytail. Here is a step by step guideline on how to adopt laced ponytail:
- Use the right comb to get rid of tangles on your head. The right comb protects your hair from unnecessary damage.
- Carry on and direct your hair into a high ponytail. It’s up to you to choose the position to place your high ponytail. Use bobby pins or hair tie to hold your high ponytail intact on its place.
- Take a couple of hair strands and tie it on your ponytail’s edges. This helps hide hair tie or bobby pins.
- Use a section of hair forming ponytail. Divide your hair section into three equal parts. Use these parts to form a braid.
- Use a hair tie or bobby pins to hold your braid intact.
- Start off by placing your hair into a high ponytail style. Use a comb or brush to direct your hair into a high ponytail style. The right comb reduces the possibility of your hair getting damaged. Hold your high ponytail intact through bobby pins.
- Use a section of your hair strands to hold your hair intact. Hair strands should be plucked from hair on both the right and left side of the head.
- Form three hair strands from hair forming high ponytail. Use the three hair strands to form a braid.
- Plait your hair up to your edges.
- Go ahead and conjoin your braid with hair forming high ponytail.
- Intertwine it together roughly three to four times.
- Conjoin your braid and hair forming braids towards its edges.
Look no further if you are looking for hairstyles for any formal occasion that comes your way. The above hairstyles can help you attain your goals. Simply check out any of the above hairstyles. Ensure the selected hairstyle perfectly blends with the outfit you choose. Your hair should also attain the set length requirements.